Rantings of a maniacal Mercedes fan and DIY-er

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cruisin' Tunes (first installment)

Those of you who know me in real life (I do actually exist apart from the interwebs....) know I'm a music fanatic FAR more than my mercedes.  Can you imagine that!?  What this means is that I always have some bangin' tunes coming from my benz at any given moment--much like James May.  See below:


So here's my chance to share some great music to play in the car.  Being from 1982, my two diesels were just past the prime of funk, but decent cars from the 1970s are hard to come by so it'll do.  I've got all of this stuff on vinyl (no I'm not joking) and play it regularly.  Unfortunately turntables are not very interwebs friendly so prepare yourself for an onslaught of youtube videos.

The Brothers Johnson - Get the funk outta my face.

  Apparently this was in the movie semi-pro judging by the youtube comments.  I haven't seen that movie but I'm glad that this song is resurfacing in today's culture since it is so bitchin'.  Just about any song from The Brothers Johnson is funkin' awesome (ha ha...ha...) and they are famous for the song Strawberry Letter 23.


Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose
The grandfather of Go-Go gets played in my Benzes all the time.  This is one of my favorite songs and seems to incite random dance parties--always a good thing, right?  Chuck Brown is still making music and recently released a song called "Block Party" if I remember correctly.  It was nowhere near Bustin' Loose but more power to the guy for keeping it real all these years.

Switch II - Go on Doin' What you Feel
I remember buying this cd from one of those 50 cent used record bins in the basement of my local store.  I hadn't heard of Switch II but they looked funky enough.  This is more of a feel good song more than anything else and not overly funky like the last few.

Kinsman Dazz - And I Mean
This isn't the song I wanted but it'll do.  The truly awesome song on this album is called "Dazzleberry Jam" which is the ultimate picker-upper (forget drugs).  Multiple times I've had awful days, some rainy and wet, some just gloomy but when that song comes on it just makes me smile no matter what I'm doing or feeling.  I will try and dig up the song but I absolutely couldn't find it on YouTube. However the one posted above is pretty good too--for me, this is one of the better funk albums I've got.  Unfortunately Kinsman Dazz took a novedive and turned into the Dazz Band producing 80's synthpop like a lot of other bands at the end of the disco and funk eras.

Rose Royce - Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is
T
The Car Wash soundtrack (which this is on) is my favorite funk album of all time.  Come on and boogie y'all!

The Salsoul Orchestra - Getaway
 The Salsoul Orchestra was a collection of Salsoul records artists who all got together and performed versions of their songs via orchestra.  This is really a cover of Earth Wind & Fire's Getaway but an instrumental and more funky version.  I totally dig it.

The Bar-Kays - Too Hot to Stop
Nice fun deep funk.  I'm pretty sure that this song's title had something to do with the water pump failure in my 300SD.  Coincidence?

My lunch break is now over...so I need to get back to work.  More installments of Cruisin' Tunes to come with all sorts of genres.  More funk to come for sure as well.

2 comments:

  1. Salut ,am si eu modelul asta de masina ,merg cu ea zi de zi ,pentru mine este un hoby aceasta masina.
    aici ai limkul cu adresa unde postez despre masina
    link: http://www.w-126.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut ,sper sa ne mai auzim
    Sanatate

    ReplyDelete