Rantings of a maniacal Mercedes fan and DIY-er

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

w126 ignition tumbler, not something to mess with!

I realize I haven't posted in a while here so I'm playing catch-up!  Here are some details about my ignition tumbler issues that I suffered about 2 years ago.

Here's what happened - my tumbler was "loose" but never had any trouble turning.  I figured I'd be a little proactive and completely replace the tumbler before it started wearing out even more.  Usually this is a super easy job, consisting of about 5 minutes of your time and an unbent paperclip.  Somehow, when I inserted the paperclip and turned the tumbler, it got completely stuck!  No movement either way.  This would be the same problem and solution for all of you who actually have had a completely stuck ignition tumbler as well, not just my folly.  Taking a look at the ignition face, there is no way to actually get the tumbler out without turning the key...unless you've got a good grinder and a drill!


1. Take out gauge cluster using the bent-coathanger method
2. Loosen bolts on the underside of the steering column and let it drop (gives about 1.5").  Taking off the steering wheel can help as well, but most of the time the retaining bolt is stuck on there with an ungodly amount of loctite and torque, I was unable to get mine to budge.
3.  Here's where it gets fun.  There's a little "pin" maybe 3/8" in diameter that holds the ignition assembly to the steering column.  It is part of the steering lock mechanism.  Some experienced folks on the internet have had success with punching this pin into the column with a drift, but I gave it everything and the damn thing did not budge.  Time to take out the dremel!  About 5 minutes with a tungsten carbide grinding bit and the pin was no more.  This step is much easier said than done.  There is almost NO room to work, and you need to get creative to find an angle that works.  I was able to slip the dremel in between the plastic steering column sheath (you can take this off if you get the steering wheel off) and the dash...a large socket was used as a spacer since there is some flex in both materials.  It was just enough to get the dremel bit in.  After grinding down the pin, you should be able to rotate the entire ignition switch mechanism within the steering lock housing.  
4.  With the ignition switch assembly freely rotating, it should slide out with some coaxing.  It isn't easy and still very tight in there, but I was able to get it out and have the igition switch dangling down below the column. 
5. Grind off the heads of the screws that hold the back portion of the ignition switch on (i.e. all the wires and vacuum lines side).  This will separate the actual ignition switch from the tumbler and steering lock areas.  It will also allow you to work on the tumbler mechanism on the bench and outside of the car.  Here is a picture of the stuck tumbler/lock assembly on the left and a new tumbler on the right.

6.  The plot thickens.  Since the metal ring around the tumbler was not moving, more grinding is in store.  Putting the new tumbler next to the old, I was able to figure out where the detent was in the ring and tumbler.  I cut the ring's detent lock around that area to free the old tumbler:







7.  More grinding.  I needed to grind the old tumbler's detent down so that I could more easily unscrew that hardened steel ring.  That was a pain, by the way--that steel is TOUGH and it takes a lot of cutting and patience.    You can see how the tumbler appears to have completely imploded and fallen apart.
8.  Finally, after much grinding and fitting, the old tumbler can come out.  Small victory:

The new tumbler went in easily!
9.  Reassemble, pretty much the reverse (minus grinding) of disassembly.  To get the ignition switch back together, I just tightly wrapped electrical tape around the two portions.  It lasted 30k miles until the car was parked with no fuss at all.  Even the steering lock still works somehow, the pin that I ground down was still slightly large enough to catch just a bit in the hole and secure the mechanism.  I imagine it could be removed with a punch now. 

Moral of the whole story is: don't wait too late to replace that sticking ignition tumbler!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I just bought an '85 300SD to replace my old 300D. It was a perfect price. But... The idiot I bought it from lost the only key to the ignition... He got a VIN key and turned out that the tumbler wasn't original. So I got a new tumbler and just replaced it today. It was easier for me since that black cover piece was already off. I got a cobalt drill bit and drilled out the lock pin. I managed to move the switch to the proper position and slid it right in.

    So thank you for posting this. It was helpful to see everything before I started screwing around.

    ReplyDelete